Close Menu
Firearms Forever
  • Home
  • Hunting
  • Guns
  • Defense
  • Videos
Trending Now

Why the Iran war is breaking the US‑European strategic alliance

May 19, 2026

Caine to Deliver Naval Academy Commencement, Trump Doing Coast Guard. Here’s Why

May 19, 2026

Greatest Single-Player Open-World Games Of All Time, Ranked

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Firearms Forever
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Hunting
  • Guns
  • Defense
  • Videos
Firearms Forever
Home»Defense»NATO’s Top Officer Doesn’t Expect More American Drawdowns Beyond the 5,000 Troops Trump Announced
Defense

NATO’s Top Officer Doesn’t Expect More American Drawdowns Beyond the 5,000 Troops Trump Announced

Tim HuntBy Tim HuntMay 19, 20263 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
NATO’s Top Officer Doesn’t Expect More American Drawdowns Beyond the 5,000 Troops Trump Announced

BRUSSELS (AP) — NATO’s top military officer said Tuesday that he doesn’t expect any more drawdowns of American troops from Europe — at least not anytime soon — beyond the 5,000 that U.S. President Donald Trump announced would leave the continent.

The remarks by U.S. Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich follow Trump’s surprise announcement of the move early this month. The U.S. leader has bickered with allies over the Iran war and called for changes.

The Pentagon later said it would draw down thousands of troops in Europe by canceling deployments to Poland and Germany as opposed to yanking out forces already stationed there.

Trump’s announcement blindsided NATO and came despite U.S. promises to coordinate military moves with its allies and avoid creating security gaps.

“It will be 5,000 troops coming out of Europe,” Grynkewich told reporters at NATO headquarters in Brussels, where top officers from across the 32-nation military organization were meeting. “lt’s all that I’m expecting in the near term.”

Trump was notably angry at Germany, after Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the United States was being “humiliated” by the Iranian leadership and criticized what he called a lack of U.S. strategy in the war.

Initially it was thought that more cuts might be coming and Grynkewich’s remarks could allay those fears.

As things stand now, some 4,000 troops from the Army’s 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team will no longer go to Poland as planned, and the deployment to Germany of around 1,000 personnel trained to fire long-range rockets and missiles has been halted. Much of the detail is still being worked out.

Grynkewich said that he spoke earlier in the day to military chiefs on the front line with Ukraine and Russia — commanders from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland — about “some of the options and how we might array capabilities on the eastern flank.”

He insisted that security in Europe would not be compromised but warned European allies should expect more drawdowns in coming years.

“Over the long term, we absolutely should expect additional redeployments as European continues to build capability and capacity and step up to provide more of the conventional defense of Europe,” Grynkewich said.

“It’s going to be an ongoing process for several years,” he said, but added: “We’re going to stay well-synchronized with our allies moving forward.”

The number of troops leaving remains small compared to the 80,000 U.S. personnel estimated to be stationed in Europe and has not alarmed allies, but their uncoordinated departure and the view that Germany was being punished has.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Reddit Email
Previous ArticleTrump Shows Construction Site of New Ballroom
Next Article Greatest Single-Player Open-World Games Of All Time, Ranked

Related Posts

Why the Iran war is breaking the US‑European strategic alliance

May 19, 2026

Caine to Deliver Naval Academy Commencement, Trump Doing Coast Guard. Here’s Why

May 19, 2026

Greatest Single-Player Open-World Games Of All Time, Ranked

May 19, 2026

Trump Shows Construction Site of New Ballroom

May 19, 2026

The Most Dependable Car In America Runs A 12-Year-Old Engine On Purpose

May 19, 2026

Hegseth’s Kentucky Campaign Rally Against Massie Raises Legal Questions

May 19, 2026
Don't Miss

Caine to Deliver Naval Academy Commencement, Trump Doing Coast Guard. Here’s Why

By Tim HuntMay 19, 2026

President Donald Trump will not deliver the commencement address for the U.S. Naval Academy’s (USNA)…

Greatest Single-Player Open-World Games Of All Time, Ranked

May 19, 2026

NATO’s Top Officer Doesn’t Expect More American Drawdowns Beyond the 5,000 Troops Trump Announced

May 19, 2026

Trump Shows Construction Site of New Ballroom

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest firearms news and updates directly to your inbox.

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Contact
© 2026 Firearms Forever. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.